When you upload a new eBook to Kindle at 35% royalty, you are given the option to enroll your eBook in the Kindle Book Lending program. All Kindle eBooks sold with 70% royalty are automatically enrolled in the Kindle Book Lending program. If your eBook is in the 35% royalty category, I suggest enrolling the eBook in the Kindle Book Lending program because it can help increase sales.
Before we discuss how you can use the Kindle Book Lending program to increase sales, here are the major details about the program:
– The Kindle Book Lending program enables customers who have purchased your book to lend the book to friends for 14 days.
– You, the author/self-publisher do not receive any royalties and are not notified when your eBook is lent.
– You, the author/self-publisher may also lend your eBook, but only once.
Here are a couple of great reasons why the Kindle Book Lending program helps your sales:
– Lending your book is a strong endorsement of your book. A testimonial by a friend is the best testimonial that your eBook can ever be given.
– The Kindle Book Lending program can be thought of as another free marketing channel, and a very powerful one at that. The Kindle Book Lending program provides an easy way for an enthusiastic reader of your book to become a public advocate of your works. Ever lent a book to a friend? You’ve probably only done that for book that you really liked. Lending a book to a friend is nothing short of a ringing endorsement of that book. That’s exactly what you want for your eBooks.
– Contrary to the way it may at first seem, the Kindle Book Lending program will not cannibalize your sales. Most likely the people who are borrowing your book would not otherwise have had contact with it. They would therefore probably never have had the opportunity to purchase the book.
Here’s how you can use the Kindle Book Lending program to increase the sales of your eBook:
– Write more books! The Kindle Book Lending Program enables your best advocates to pass out tasty samples your works on toothpicks to their hungry friends. After they’ve had a nibble, they’ll want more. Got more?
– Make it easy for the borrowers to buy your other works. Place links to the Amazon sales pages of your other works prominently and liberally throughout all of your eBooks. I also sell my eBooks from my web site and here is an example of how I place a link to a sales page in my eBooks:
– Tell everyone how great your other books are! Place testimonials about your other works prominently in your Kindle eBook. If you are good at CSS, you can create a real nice testimonial page such as:
These are just a few of the countless ways you can use the Kindle Book Lending program to introduce new customers to your other works, and make more sales. You are limited only by your imagination.